Wednesday, February 25, 2009

E-Books

Today Amazon begins to sell the new Kindle 2, and electronic book reader.  The launch is receiving a fair bit of attention.

The president of the company producing the Kindle 2 appeared on the Daily Show on Monday--an indication this gizmo is considered hot, and the New York Times hosted an op-ed piece on Tuesday from the president of the US Authors Guild denouncing it.

I've seen the Sony equivalent and must say that I was impressed by the quality of the print, visible in darkness or bright sunlight.  I'm just not sure this is how I want to read a book.  Among the pros must be the ease of handling and reading.  No awkward positioning of a tightly bound book while trying to find a comfortable position in bed.  But what about the smug satisfaction of gazing at an overloaded bookshelf.  How will others know I read?

It sounds like this might be the beginning of the end for the paper-bound book.  Fortunately, the price of $430.00 (Canadian), makes it possible to put-off any decision to switch for some time.

Oh..., why was the president of the Authors Guild denouncing the Kindle?  It includes a text-to-speech function that the Authors Guild fears will cut into the billion dollar audio book market.  I listened to this audio feature in a promotional video (that can be found here...scroll down to "Watch a Video Demonstration of Kindle 2"), it isn't that good.

Photo Credit: Amazon.com

1 comment:

Sharon said...

I am teaching (again) a workshop for Vancouver School Board about e-publishing. I like the idea of e-books - I download and read on my laptop. I would love to try a Sony or Kindle, but I agree the price is completely prohibitive, which means for now the iPhone/iPod is the more likely vehicle for the technology.

Still, nothing will replace the sensory pleasures of a book. They have survived everything else, despite civilization's best attempts. I always think of a Twilight Zone episode where a hen-pecked man is the only survivor of a 'catastrophic event' which leaves him the only man left on earth. He makes his way to a library and sits down to read to his heart's content and trips, breaking his glasses, without which he is blind.

Fade to black.

At least the books survive!