Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fire at the University of Manitoba


A Shock !

Today the fourth floor of the Duff Roblin building (Zoology) at the University of Manitoba caught fire.  I spent my undergraduate and graduate years prowling these halls and taught here for one year after finishing my Masters degree.   The firefighters are standing immediately beside my old office window in the Buller building.

I hope the damage is not too extensive.  There are a lot of memories in there (including driving my motorcycle through the building one night).

The building was named after a former premier of Manitoba.  Ironically, while Duff is losing a building, Duff's Ditch (the Winnipeg Floodway) is about to save the city from heavy spring flooding.

Photo Credit: David Lipnowski, Winnipeg Free Press

No comments: